I’m almost sure that many of you have seen bumper stickers with this phrase before. One of the joys I have during the summer months is to work with a small group of students in private lessons between the June and August. In these lessons I like to play along with my students. Duets are actually a wonderful pedagogical resource to use with your students (and are also a ton of fun for them too!).
- Students learn to tune to another pitch source/ performer.
- Students practice sight-reading skills (we usually decide together who plays which part).
- Students learn to adapt to musical nuance and observe individual dynamic changes.
- Students work in a collaborative environment to decide the nature of matching articulations and phrasing.
- Students have the opportunity to practice being the “leader”, pick a tempo and cue the start of the duets.